Food Pantry Gardens
In an effort to increase the amount of fresh, nutritious produce to food pantries, meal sites, and agencies with feeding programs serving low income families CAC began partnering with the Madison Area Food Pantry Gardening Project in 2000. When the founders of that project started talking of retirement CAC began to search for a way to replace the wonderful produce donations that would be lost. In partnership with the Madison Community Foundation and many wonderful local groups CAC has helped develop and support many new food pantry gardens. Our goal is to provide at least 100,000 lbs of fresh locally grown produce to families experiencing poverty each year. In 2012, 28 groups donated 139,000 pounds of fresh produce to local pantries and meal sites and reported nearly 6,800 volunteer hours. Individual organization totals ranged from a few pounds to more than 65,000 pounds -- it all adds up!
Food pantry gardens take many forms. Some community gardens help coordinate the donation of excess produce to a nearby food pantry. Other gardens donate everything they grow to a pantry or CAC that then redistributes it to agencies. Regardless of what form they take, each garden is helping to share the local food experience with families who may not otherwise have access to these healthy foods.
Food Pantry Gardens
- American Family Insurance Employee & Food Pantry Garden
- Badger Fountain of Life Community & Food Pantry Garden is located just east of Park Street, north of the Beltline. It's a 12,000 square foot plot consisting of twenty 20x20 foot individual plots with 4,000 feet of that is set aside for food pantry use. Please contact Kate Kollman at (608)345-6766 for information on volunteering.
- Bashford United Methodist Church Food Pantry Garden is located south of the church parking lot at 329 North Street.
- Blackhawk Church Food Pantry Garden is located across the street from the Church at 9620 Brader Way in Verona, WI. Those interested in volunteering may contact Alex Butz at and (608) 886-3077 or Stacey Gluck at and (608) 698-7828.
- Birch House Farm Community Garden
- Bock Middleton Community Garden
- Burke Lutheran Church
- Cambridge Pantry Garden, Severson Learning Farm is located at the Severson Learning Farm, one mile south of Cambridge. Volunteers interested in tending the garden may contact Wanda Pleshek at 423-8142 or email email@example.com. This project is supported by the Cambridge School District and the Cambridge Activities Program. We welcome all volunteers, green thumb not required!
- Centro Hispano – Sembrando y Cosechando Juntos is located behind Centro Hispano at 825 Hughes Place.
- Cottage Grove Community Garden is located behind Bryn Mawr Church at 229 N Main St. in Cottage Grove. Contact Ken Dahl at for information on volunteering at the garden.
- Covance Employee Garden
- Darbo/Worthington Community Garden is located at 3030 Darbo Drive.
- Divine Savior United Methodist Church Food Pantry Garden is located at 5702 South Hill Drive.
- Door Creek Church Food Pantry Garden is located at 6602 Dominion, Madison, WI. Those who are interested in volunteering may contact Chuck Karabin at or (608)834-9410.
- Edgewood High School Community Garden is located behind Edgewood High School, at 2219 Monroe Street. The produce from the garden will be serving the Catholic Multicultural Center (St. Martin House) food pantry. For more information, contact Bob Shannon at or .
- F H King Student Farm can be accessed by car, bike or bus route 80 by taking University Bay Drive to Lake Mendota Rd. The entrance will be on your right, at the top of the hill. We are a student organization that welcomes everyone to tour and volunteer on the farm. Please contact Micah Hahn at or 865-406-5929 or visit http://www.fhkingstudentfarm.com/ to find more information on opportunities for involvement.
- Fitchburg Fields Food Pantry Garden is located near the south east corner of Lacy Road and Fahey Glen. Visit www.fitchburgfields.org for more information.
- Glendale Elementary School Garden is located near Glendale Elementary at 1201 Tompkins Drive, Madison WI. Please contact Joe Muellenberg for more information at .
- Globe University Food Pantry Garden is located in Reindahl Community Garden, near the southern edge of Reindahl Park, 1818 Portage Rd.
- Hershberger Food Pantry Garden is located at 7630 Midtown Rd in Middleton. For more information, visit www.foodpantrygardens.org.
- Lacy Food Pantry Garden is located at 5897 Whalen Road. For more information, visit www.foodpantrygardens.org.
- Lindbergh School Community Garden is located at 4500 Kennedy Road.
- Madison Christian Community Garden is located at 7118 Old Sauk Road.
- Malmquist Food Pantry Garden is located at 7418 Valley View Rd. For more information, visit www.foodpantrygardens.org.
- Middleton Outreach Ministry Food Pantry Garden (MOM), which serves more than 500 low-income families in Middleton, Cross Plains and West Madison has a garden located across the street from the MOM Food Pantry and Clothing Closet. All produce is donated directly to the MOM food pantry. In 2010, nearly 1000 pounds of produce made its way into the hands of MOM food pantry guests. Volunteers help with all aspects of the garden from plowing, to planting to harvesting. For more information, please contact Cheri Farha, MOM Distribution Center Manager at 826-3407.
- Middleton Sustainability Group
- Monona United Methodist Organic Community Garden is located at 6060 Nichols Road in Monona, WI. For more information on volunteering, please contact Karelyn Hopkins at 608-577-3185.
- Orchard Ridge United Church of Christ Vegetable Village is located at the United Church of Christ, 1501 Gilbert Rd.
- Oregon Community Garden is located at the Peoples United Methodist Church at 103 N Alpine Parkway, Oregon. There are a couple Food Pantry Garden plots. Contact Barbara Feeney at or (608)843-2272.
- Russett Road Front Yard Garden Initiative is located at the 5700 and 5800 block of Russett Road.
- St. Dunstan’s Community Garden is located at 6205 University Ave.
- St. Stephen’s Community Garden is located near the intersection of Owen Road and Pheasant Hill in Monona.
- Stoughton Food Pantry Garden is located on the grounds of Stoughton United Methodist Church at 525 Lincoln Avenue. Contact Jane Priebe, , for more information or to volunteer.
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Employee & Food Pantry Garden
- Youth Grow Local Farm is located on Lamplighter Way at Milwaukee St. behind Kennedy Elementary. Interested volunteers may contact Megan Cain at Community GroundWorks
For more information, contact Wayne Morris, Food & Gardens Division Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or (608) 246-4730 ext. 206.